With the success and enthusiasm we have seen in Wisconsin and across the nation with International Walk to School Day, we have decided to select a month in the winter to promote walking to school year-round. February, 2017 has been designated as Winter Walk to School Month in Wisconsin. We hope to encourage schools and communities to plan events that will promote walking to/from school safely and demonstrate that walking can be fun throughout the year, even during the Wisconsin winters.
Schools participating in the East Central WI Regional Safe Routes to School Program are eligible to receive a toolkit with students incentives (hats, gloves, blankets, Subway gift cards etc.) to help promote their event or activities. To register your school and receive a toolkit please click here. For additional information please contact a member of the SRTS Staff.
Below are a few tips to keep your family safe while walking:
- Always use sidewalks or paths where available, if there are no sidewalks or paths always walk facing traffic as far left as possible.
- Wear bright colored or reflective clothing which makes you more visible to drivers.
- Always use marked crosswalks and crossing guards when possible.
- Be sure to wear appropriate clothing (hats, gloves, winter boots etc.) when walking in cold weather.
- Be careful of icy surfaces and wear appropriate footwear to avoid slipping or falling.